As a partner with Payne Mitchell Ramsey, Todd Ramsey offers clients his expertise in the preparation and trial of catastrophic personal injury cases. Todd has been recognized by D Magazine as one of the Best Personal Injury Lawyers in Dallas and by Texas Monthly as a Texas Super Lawyer. Todd is a member of the Dallas Trial Lawyers Association, the Texas Trial Lawyers Association, and the “Leaders Forum” of the American Association of Justice. He has previously served on the board of directors for the Dallas Trial Lawyers and the Texas Trial Lawyers Association. A member of the Dallas Bar Association, Todd has earned Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating (AV) through a peer-review evaluation.
Todd is a member of the Texas Bar Fellows, an honor given to less than one percent of Texas lawyers, based on outstanding contributions to the legal profession and commitment to the community. For providing unpaid legal services to the poor, Todd has been inducted into the Pro Bono College by the State Bar of Texas. Todd’s work in Mass Tort Litigation and Class Actions has earned him a spot in both the 2020 and 2021 issues of the Best Lawyers in America.
In his distinguished career, Todd has handled legal matters for plaintiffs in the areas of product liability, truck wrecks, aviation disasters, oil rig injuries, automobile defects, pharmaceutical negligence, vehicle collisions, medical malpractice, nursing home negligence, business disputes, and class actions.
Todd has tried numerous cases to verdict in both state and federal courts and is licensed to practice in both Texas and Oklahoma. He received his J.D. from Baylor Law School and is a cum laude graduate of Texas Christian University.
- A Tarrant County jury returned a $16.3 million dollar verdict in favor of Plaintiff, Clarence Johnson, represented by Payne Mitchell Ramsey. The product liability case involved an air conditioning compressor and components designed and sold by Emerson Climate Technologies and Fusite. The defendants’ compressor failed, spewing pressurized hot flaming oil onto Mr. Johnson’s face, neck and torso. The case was tried in the 48th District Court of Tarrant County, the Honorable David Evans presiding. Clarence Johnson was represented by Todd Ramsey, Andy Payne and Stefanie Bradshaw.
- Todd Ramsey and Andy Payne received a significant settlement representing a family of Plaintiffs in a lawsuit against a commercial trucking company. A driver for the company had rear-ended a passenger car, injuring its driver and killing two passengers. Counsel for the Plaintiffs uncovered evidence of distracted driving on the part of the truck driver, which led to the $11 million policy limit settlement.
- Todd Ramsey helped a client achieve a $5 million dollar settlement in a case in alleging lack of adequate security measures. The client suffered serious injuries as a result of a shooting on the premises of an apartment complex. After an investigation and hiring security experts the parties were able to reach this settlement on behalf of our client.
- Todd Ramsey, Andy Payne and Stefanie Bradshaw obtain a jury verdict of $2.6 million in Komar v. Hiemsta where our client was severely injured when struck by a vehicle in a pedestrian crosswalk.
- Todd Ramsey and Andy Payne settle a Legionnaire's Disease case for a significant settlement without filing suit. Our client suffered serious and permanent injuries after being exposed to Legionella bacteria.
- Todd Ramsey helped secure a policy limit settlement in a dram shop case where a bar over served a customer. The intoxicated customer then left the bar and caused a serious crash which injured our client. Todd was able to resolve the case for the maximum amount of available insurance shortly after filing suit.
- Todd Ramsey and Andy Payne represented a young woman who suffered numerous severe injuries when her Robinson R-44 helicopter crashed in a remote area near San Diego, California. Through their aggressive work they were able to negotiate a significant confidential sum.
- Todd Ramsey and Andy Payne settled a modern day Ford Pinto case. Most vehicles now have their gas tanks mounted between the axles so they are safe in collisions. Unfortunately, there are still a few models that have the defective design of placing the fuel tank behind the rear axle near the back bumper. In this position, the gas tank literally becomes a bomb when the vehicle is rear-ended. Payne Mitchell Ramsey resolved the second of three cases involving this terrible design. We hope our clients’ collective efforts will convince all automobile manufacturers to abandon this dangerous design. We will continue to fight until they do.
- Todd Ramsey and Andy Payne received a jury verdict of over $3.6 million in Odessa against Williams and Advanced Stimulation Technologies, Inc. for their client who suffered severe head injuries from a car accident when a truck ran a red light.
- A man driving a delivery box truck was struck by a passenger car and suffered serious permanent injuries. Todd Ramsey and Andy Payne uncovered an underinsured insurance policy and were able to settle the case on behalf of our client for $2 million.
- Todd Ramsey settled a rental car crash case for maximum insurance limits of over $1 million. A mother and son were struck on their way from the aiport to a graduation ceremony.
Awards + Honors
- Best Lawyers, D Magazine, 2013-2017
- Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2012-present
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2017-2021
- AV Preeminent (highest possible) Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Involvement + Leadership
- Dallas Bar Foundation; Fellow
- Dallas Trial Lawyers Association; Member, Board of Directors
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association of Justice; Member of the Leaders Forum
- Dallas Bar Association
Publications + Speeches
- "Use of Focus Groups: On Any Budget", State Bar of Texas, Advanced Personal Injury Law Course
- "Preinjury Releases and Waivers", State Bar of Texas, Advanced Personal Injury Law Course
- "Evaluating the Invisible Injury Case: Traumatic Brain Injuries and Psychological Injuries", State Bar of Texas, Advanced Personal Injury Law Course
- Texas Christian University, cum laude, 1993
- Baylor Law School, J.D., 1996
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Oklahoma